Otaku research project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chamfan1, March 16, 2015.

1. Hello everybody!

I love anime, but I'm very inexperienced about what it means to be a part of otaku subculture. For this reason I have chosen to research otaku subculture for a school paper, and I've come here for help. If you would answer some of my questions that would be amazingly helpful!

feel free to answer or discuss any of these questions:

1. How long have you enjoyed anime/manga?

2. What are your favorite animes/mangas or anime/manga genres?

3. Do you go to anime conventions? (I was just at Naka-Kon 2015, it was a lot of fun!)

4. What is the difference between the average anime fan and an otaku?

5. What are some of the stereotypes associated with the otaku culture?

6. Are there any truths to these stereotypes or are they just formed from ignorance?

7. What is the difference between otaku culture in Japan vs. America?

8. What are your favorite parts of otaku culture? Are there any parts you don't like?

If I even get a single answer I would be ecstatic!

2. 1 - I've enjoyed anime for about a good 7 years now

2 - Romance/Comedy (Romcom's) and Ecchi

3 - To Poor and Lazy To Go

4 - Average anime fan will more than likely only watch mainstream anime like Naruto/One Piece/Bleach where as an Otaku will watch just about
    anything like Sword art online, Problem Children from another world, dog days, etc (basically open to more less known anime)

5 - Stereotypes huh...... I think that the otaku culture in general is viewed as a weird thing by people that dont watch it, if i had to say one stereotype (might be wrong) but most people that dont watch anime will presume your into like hentai and crap like that

6 - a Mix of both in my opinion

7 - Otaku culture is much more hardcore in Japan I mean you'll find stores and anime just about everywhere, but its even more hardcore in Akibahara where its a place full of anime/eroge content. You dont have that in America (picture below is an example)
    Link For Full Set Of Photos: http://seventhstyle.com/2015/02/23/kancolle-x-pizza-hut-is-a-success/
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    8 - What i love about the otaku culture is just the anime in general i guess. All i do everyday is play league of legends and watch anime, and it would be fun to talk to more people that are into anime or into the otaku culture but thats hard in America sadly

3. 1. How long have you enjoyed anime/manga?

I think a few years now? Maybe 4? I don't really know, I just saw a clip once and thought it looked neat so I started watching it regularly.

2. What are your favorite animes/mangas or anime/manga genres?

Probably Nichijou and Hyouka. I don't have much reasons besides they entertain me.

3. Do you go to anime conventions? (I was just at Naka-Kon 2015, it was a lot of fun!)

I would if I was given the opportunity. Probably wouldn't buy anything though.

4. What is the difference between the average anime fan and an otaku?

One enjoys anime, the other lives it.

5. What are some of the stereotypes associated with the otaku culture?

Super nerds, sociopaths and people who aren't very understanding of anyone who doesn't understand them.

6. Are there any truths to these stereotypes or are they just formed from ignorance?

Neither. Stereotypes are true, but they describe a much smaller number of a group, not the whole thing.

7. What is the difference between otaku culture in Japan vs. America?

Japan is more serious about it and America is all meh.

8. What are your favorite parts of otaku culture? Are there any parts you don't like?

Different blokes different strokes. Not much that I particularly care about, it just entertains me.

4. #4 Ryuneki+, March 16, 2015
    Last edited: March 16, 2015
    1.) About 11 years now, started when I was a freshman in High-school.

2.) Genres, Action/romance/tsundere/ecchi/harems, a few as an example Chuunibyou, Chobits, Ranma 1/2, GTO. Anime/manga's like them. Currently in love with Ultimate Fanfir.

3.) You were at Naka-kon, a little jealous, watched the stream on Crunchyroll the past couple days. Haven't been to one yet, there's Kitsune con going on this weekend, March 20th in Green Bay, WI. that I'm going to. Live about 20 minutes away so it's close otherwise they are always to far away.
    [​IMG]

4.) I don't think much, an otaku will probably bring the anime/manga topic up more day to day then an average anime fan as they tend to watch varied series. Other then that a fan's a fan!

5.) Shut ins, people that are not very social other then online. That only talk about and reference topics that are associated to anime or manga's. Or Neptunia's version, which i think is the perfect stereotypical image most people think of. The takes no shower for weeks at a time and spends all day watching or playing anime related games.
    [​IMG]

6.) I don't think they are true for the most part. There may be a few people out there that fit the type to a T but other then that what makes this any different then people who spend all afternoon watching tv series (NCIS, Gothem, Survivor to name a few), and then spend all day at work talking about the ones they saw last night. So yeah most of it probably falls under ignorance as they see that it's drawn or a game and they think it's meant for kids and won't even give it another look.

7.) In America it seems a lot more spread out making it harder to talk openly with people other then online day to day. I live in the country so can't say how it is in the big cities but I fell like it would be pretty much the same. In Japan people seem to cosplay more and converse openly about the topic more often then here at the occasional anime con or manga section at Barnes and Noble.

8.) I like every part of it, the best is when you find someone who talks just as heated and passionately about it as you do. Next thing you know 20 minutes or more may have gone by and you just want to keep talking. I find the stories and genres to be more interesting then the popular shows that air on TV which is why I usually never have anything to talk about and my conversations tend to be on the short side...

5. Wow, thanks a lot everyone! You have been very helpful.