Dismiss Notice
Please be aware that this section may contain spoilers. If you're discussing something here that may be a spoiler, please use the [SPOILER] tag!

Mecha Super Robot Slaughter-fest!!

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Walkurefan45, June 19, 2017.

1. #1 Walkurefan45, June 19, 2017
    Last edited: June 19, 2017
    I always loved watching the old "Super Robot" Shows of the 70s and 80s. Go Nagai and Leiji Matsumoto both had much success with their creations, like Mazinger, Dangard Ace, and UFO Grandizer to name a few.

The shows of yesteryear might seem kinda cheesy by today's anime standards, but there's 2 OAVs that are recent, and they will change your minds about the "Super Robots" of yesteryear: Shin Getter Robo Armageddon and Mazinkaizer SKL.

Both are from Go Nagai, and take the Getter Robo and Mazinger universes into really DARK and BLOODY territory. The body counts in both films combined would make even the Terminator stand in awe.

But what I have always wanted to see on the screen was every Super Robot going at it one-on one, in a bloodsport deathmatch. I know there was a video game like this a while back, but dammit... THIS SHOULD BE AN ANIME SERIES!!! Getter Robo vs. Gaiking! Raideen vs. Dangard Ace! Combattler V vs. Voltes V! GoLion vs. Dairaga XV! ROBOT THUNDERDOME - TWO BOTS ENTER, ONE BOT LEAVES!

There would be no story, or anything dramatic. It would be televised as sort of a sports event... That might make it seem more bloody. All fights would be to the death, with the winner of the first round going to fight the winner of the next round, and on and on until only one Super Robot stands victorious upon the wreckage of the rest...

As for the question of "What is TOO powerful?"... These are basically gods in metal form, striding upon the earth... Or on whatever world the battles take place. Think of it this way... Mazinger Z or Great Mazinger has more power in one pinky finger than a newtype piloting a Gundam has in his entire mobile suit.

So, no... Gundam doesn't count as a "Super Robot". Neither does Armored Trooper Votoms, Dragonar, Aura Battler Dunbine, or Valkyrie fighters from Macross. Those are straight-up mecha. "Super Robots" are taller, faster, and in some cases, even combiners.

So a Cross-over Battle Royale to the death, then. The ULTIMATE bloodsport. I can see Otaku placing bets on who will win each round... LOL Good times will be had by all.

• Like Like x 2