Dismiss Notice
Please be aware that this section may contain spoilers. If you're discussing something here that may be a spoiler, please use the [SPOILER] tag!

Winter Anime Review - Horror Genre - AJIN!

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Hagame-Senpai, March 10, 2016.

1. Hello my fellow Otaku's! Today I'll start my anime review series. Also 'Winter Anime Discussions #3 Will be slightly delayed to Sunday 13th of March. Don't worry. To compensate I'll be writing a new thread today and on Friday 11th of March. Anyway. Today I'd like to talk about the 'Horror' Genre of anime! A lot of horror anime tend to follow a controversial plot and unique character development. Read on to find out more!

NOTE: The [SPOILER.] Tag does not always work, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

THE 'HORROR' GENRE OF ANIME IN GENERAL

Horror anime tend to get the viewer hooked to the anime very quickly. Plots are very unique, most of which are in some kind of facility are remote area where the protagonists can not escape or call for help. This isn't always the case as some Horror anime can be set anywhere. Mirai Nikki is set in Kyoto, and urban city in Japan. The anime keeps reminding you of the fact that the main character could die at any given time, despite being in an open city full of people. Obviously horror anime have some sort of twist to really spice things up. Let's move on to the anime we're going to be reviewing today!

This anime is called 'Ajin'. Quite obviously it is a horror anime, but also consists of 'Mystery' 'Supernatural' and 'Sci-Fi'.

Below is the cover of 'Ajin'

[​IMG]

Plot Summary: Ajin are humans that cannot die. Seventeen years ago, they first appeared on a battlefield in Africa. From then on, more of their kind are discovered within the human society. Their rarity in appearance means that, for experimental purposes, the government will generously reward anyone who captures one. In the present day, for what a certain high school student expects to be a typical summer holiday, his life is about to turn unexpected...

Upon watching episode 1 of 'Ajin' I found that the anime follows the typical guideline for most horror anime. For anime reviews I don't find it too efficient or pleasing for me and the reader to sit through paragraphs upon paragraphs of what I think of anime. So I'm going to break it down into a list, a give a brief explanation to all my choices!

Positives: Character Development
    The Character development in Ajin is on point! Much like other horror anime, we are given a standard setting, and a quick brief insight towards the characters, saving all the juicy stuff for later in the anime or during the plot twist. For the first few episodes you constantly want to watch the next, because you just HAVE TO find out what the 'important information' was. (You'll understand this if you watch the anime).

Moments of darkness
    I don't literally mean moments where you screen goes blank, although this is common in horror anime. I'm talking about moments of being clueless! You have absolutely no idea about what's going on. But this kind of affect is just asking you to keep watching the anime!

No unwanted information
    This anime constantly keeps pleasing you. What you want to happen, it will happen in the anime. This is another effective method to keep you hooked and asserted towards the anime. And can be quite relieving for those of you who REALLY don't want a specific thing to happen!

Negatives: 3D Animation
    I'll be frank, this anime would be 90% better off with 2D Animation. I can't really go into too much insight towards why this is annoying, because in the end this is a matter of personal opinion

So that's it for Anime Review #1! I really hope you enjoyed. In conclusion I recommend this anime for those who can tolerate dark emotional feelings, and to someone who can operate normally under a lot of tension. If you get frightened easily or cannot take much tension, I seriously DO NOT recommend this anime for you. Please leave a rating and a comment, they are very much appreciated! :D

Good day, Hagame
    [/spoiler]

2. I wouldn't call Ajin horror, more like, suspense thriller. Their is nothing scary about the show, in fact it's a really good show in terms of pace and suspense, but nowhere near being a horror.

3. The concept is great and intriguing, the only thing keeping me back is some of the dialogue and the terrible CG.

4. Coolllll!!